2.11.15

Travel // Port Douglas

Where To Stay 

We went over to Port Douglas by plane from Sydney and stayed at the Mandalay luxury beach front apartments. It was not the poshest hotel we stayed at on our trip but it really felt homely and comfortable.I suppose as it was an apartment it felt more like a permanent stay.
What To Do 

Snorkelling:
As Port Douglas is where the great barrier reef is you just have to do a boat trip to either snorkel or go Diving. We went on a calypso a boat that took us out to three different parts on the Great barrier reef. 

On the way out it was actually an hour and a half to get there and the wind was at 25 knots and it made to boat go so jumpy you could not even stand up on the boat because you just got really knocked around and fell on other random people you didn't know!!! Embarrassing we all got soaked and freezing cold as well. 

There was a huge fish when we got to our first stop just as I was about to get into the water. I might have freaked out a bit like a big baby and it took me a good 5 mins to actually pluck up the courage to get into the water.. it was so big it scared the life out of me. Just before we got there the boat crew decided to tell me that there were sharks in the water so you can imagine me I was crapping myself. Anyway as it turns out the big fish I saw was the friendliest fish in the water it came up to get stroked and to get food of course, he was called Angus. Here are a few pictures of our day I would thoroughly recommend doing on of these trips as it really is beautiful. 



 The reefs were lovely and full of fish I saw a lot of parrot fish and not that many Nemo type fish at all I only saw one blue and black one, which surprised me but they said to us that after the movie came out lots of people wanted one all over the world and companies came to poach them out of the ocean for fish tanks everywhere, this is kind of sad if you think about it.



Rainforest Trip:
We did this for only the morning but the tour guide made this trip he really did! He was called Gary and he was such a laugh.. We first went over to the Dainetree River and travelled down it on a boat to go and see the wildlife like the Crocodiles and birds.

 We then drove down into the rainforest on a Zebra open top Jeep with open windows and no seat belts. Gary was driving and he drove like a lunatic I cant even explain how his driving was he told us all to hold on and he was going so fast driving around all the tight bends there were and he went through these two fords in the road and soaked us all.












We got to the end of the path and went to take a few pictures by the scenery, then we all walked through the rainforest to a waterfall, it was so pretty and secluded we were the only people there.

 Gary said we could go for a swim I really wanted to do it but I was so scared I didn't even know what was in the water. He started to point out turtles in the water and said that it did not matter what was in there.
When I agreed to go with my Mum into the water there were loads of fish waiting for us to get into the water and I freaked out but I did it!

 I just jumped into the water it was freezing cold at first I could hardly catch my breaths. Mum, Gary and I swam through the dark water over to the waterfall and climbed up under the waterfall and stood there feeling it falling down onto us.  We then climbed down and went over to another side of the water and climbed onto the bank and jumped off of the rock on the side into the water!

 It was so much fun to actually do it, I knew I would regret it if I didn't actually go into the water to  experience it. When were getting out of the water Gary started to throw fish food into the water so all the fish started to come up. Mum and I were screaming and trying to get out of the water so the fish didn't get near us. We started to feed the turtles and fish that were in the water and whilst we were feeding them this gross eel came up to the water and started eating and I thought to myself no way have I been swimming in that water when there is eels in there! I am so glad he didn't tell me about them before or I wouldn't have done it!!

I love the two piece I wore that day it was so cute. I don't think it should have been paired with no makeup and some nike trainers but I didn't fancy going into the rainforest with sandals on and a full face!! (plus we had to be up quite early)

The Town:
I walked around the cute town of Port Douglas and found some awesome places that inspired me to start doing my art work again and get my but into gear. There were so many aboriginal art places in Australia everywhere you went.











We went on a stroll through the town and below are a few pictures, one of the days we ate at the iron bar the food was really good. My dungarees are from Asos I love them they are so comfy.

 The Ahoy Trader store from Jai Vasicek who is the most amazing artist I really wouldn't mind a few of his pieces in my flat of his. I really wish I had bought some. You can see his website Here. Please check him out and tell me what you think.


Next place was Perth - Margaret River.....

Robyn xo

No comments:

Post a Comment